[cmucl-imp] [cmucl-help] NaN

james anderson james.anderson at setf.de
Wed Jan 11 14:33:56 UTC 2017

good morning;

> On 2017-01-11, at 09:48, Marco Antoniotti <marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>
> Thank you James, thank you Stelian.
>
> The CFFI solution seems very interesting and the codec James pointed me to are also useful.

i sent marco an off-line note, in which i had pointed out some code which figures (among other things) in an amqp implementation, where it is figures in buffer codecs.
for the curious, it is to be found here:

https://github.com/lisp/de.setf.utility/tree/master/codecs/float-codecs.lisp

my memory may be spotty, but i do not recall that it relied on cffi.
the consequence is much the same, in that it arranges the bist in memory, but the mechanism is different.

best regards, from berlin,

> Do you have any ideas about how your code(s) would impact the lower levels of the implementation?  Meaning: the solutions both of you propose essentially use the FFI: any ideas about how such solutions would impact memory management?

you have lost me here.
each of them arranges to write/read a memory word.
the codec version targets an unboxed byte array while the cffi gets a pointer to an arbitrary word. (at least, that is how i read it.)
you might be more successful getting the later onto the stack via a dynamic extent declaration. some lisps let force arrays to the stack, others do not.

is that what you meant?

best regards, from berlin,