[cmucl-imp] Backquote bug

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 14:53:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:33 AM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> Subtle bug in CMUCL.
>
> What should this form read as?
> `#5(1 ,@`(2 3))
>
> ECL, LispWorks and fare-quasiquote agree on #(1 2 3 2 3)
Sorry, as PJB points out on the armedbear-devel list, the correct answer,
that I failed to copy/paste correctly, is #(1 2 3 3 3) indeed.

> allegro, ccl, clisp, sbcl return the arguably conformant #(1 2 3 2 3 2 3 2 3)
> abcl, cmucl, gcl, xcl all return the arguably completely buggy #(1 2 3)

PJB also argues that the CLHS can be argued to not have specified `#n(...)
in which case, using it is non-conformant and returning #(1 2 3),
erroring out, or launching a nuclear attack are all valid implementations.

The Philosophy of Liberty, or Libertarianism, is a theory of Law; it is an
ethics of Liberty and Responsibility; it is a cybernetics of Human Action;
it is the only authentically subversive ideology.