[cmucl-imp] Motifd and Motif library dependencies

Carl Shapiro carl.shapiro at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 06:45:03 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:

> What?  We haven't done static linking of Motif for quite some time.

I had not realized that.  It sounded like this was still the case because
you had to fuss with the linker parameters.  It does seem that Debian and
Ubuntu do not have this version of Motif and there is no pre-compiled binary
for these systems distributed by the maintainer.

ftp://ftp.ics.com/openmotif/2.3/2.3.2/

It is not clear that this is a deal-breaker; the README file claims that 2.x
releases are binary compatible and it is doubtful that anything in the
motifd has changed that would break anything.  A random user would be able
to add a symlink on their system but package maintainers will have to relink
or rebuild motifd on these systems.