[cmucl-imp] Motifd and Motif library dependencies

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 02:31:39 CET 2010

Carl Shapiro wrote:
> It just means you will need Open Motif installed.  Most of the Linux
> distributions have these libraries available through apt, yum, or
> whatever.  There is a FreeBSD port as well.  This should just be noted
> in the install documentation for the convenience of new users.
Ok.  That seemed to work.  I don't need to specify the extra libraries
explicitly, but ldd shows that motifd now references jpeg, png, and Xft
libraries.  This isn't true with the 2009-12 binaries that were built on
some RH enterprise system.  The new build also still links against
libXm.so.4, but the 2009-12 link agains Xm.so.3.

> The practice of statically linking in a Motif library should have died
> with SunOS 4.
What?  We haven't done static linking of Motif for quite some time.

Ray