End of support for Solaris 8

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 13:47:56 CET 2010

Chun Tian (binghe) wrote:
> Hi, Raymond
>
> I think there's no much difference on libc level between Solaris 8 and 10. Even you stop building CMUCL on Solaris 8, it may not means that you "drop" support of it.
>
> I have a old SPARC/Solaris machine (420R), and I run latest Solaris 10 on it. Beside, I use SUN's Solaris Container [1] technology to run Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 boxes in that Solaris 10, because I have some very old software which only support Solaris 8 and 9.  So having one SPARC machine I got three Solaris OS. I think you can also consider this usage and turn your development environment to Solaris 10 as well. Once you build out new CMUCL binaries on Solaris 10, you still have chance to see if they can run on older OS versions, and based on my knowledge of Solaris, I think they can.

I already tried running a Solaris 10 build on Solaris 8 (and 9).  It
doesn't work because the build wants different libraries.  I did do a
hack so that the build doesn't use the offending library, and that
seemed to work.  But this solution is hackish at best and not something
I want to do.

Yes, I just recently heard about Solaris containers and that seems to
solve the issue by running real Solaris 8 on a Solaris 10 box.  But
unless someone really needs to have cmucl for Solaris 8, I don't want to
install containers.  Besides, Solaris 8 is already or almost at end of
support; it's time to move on. :-)

Ray