[cmucl-imp] End of support for Solaris 8

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 05:32:52 CET 2010

Hi, Raymond

I think there's no much difference on libc level between Solaris 8 and 10. Even you stop building CMUCL on Solaris 8, it may not means that you "drop" support of it.

I have a old SPARC/Solaris machine (420R), and I run latest Solaris 10 on it. Beside, I use SUN's Solaris Container [1] technology to run Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 boxes in that Solaris 10, because I have some very old software which only support Solaris 8 and 9.  So having one SPARC machine I got three Solaris OS. I think you can also consider this usage and turn your development environment to Solaris 10 as well. Once you build out new CMUCL binaries on Solaris 10, you still have chance to see if they can run on older OS versions, and based on my knowledge of Solaris, I think they can.

Regards,

Chun Tian (binghe)

[1] http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/containers/index.jsp

在 2010-1-7,06:58, Raymond Toy 写道: