[cmucl-imp] Debian bug 821150: problems with the PCL license [resend]

Peter Van Eynde pvaneynd at mailworks.org
Fri Jun 10 15:04:47 UTC 2016

Hello team,

I fear that someone noticed a problem with the license of the PCL files
in cmucl. The license reads (for example from
https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/cmucl/cmucl/blob/master/src/pcl/boot.lisp):

> ;;; *************************************************************************
> ;;; Copyright (c) 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990 Xerox Corporation.
> ;;; All rights reserved.
> ;;;
> ;;; Use and copying of this software and preparation of derivative works
> ;;; based upon this software are permitted.  Any distribution of this
> ;;; software or derivative works must comply with all applicable United
> ;;; States export control laws.
> ;;;
> ;;; This software is made available AS IS, and Xerox Corporation makes no
> ;;; warranty about the software, its performance or its conformity to any
> ;;; specification.
> ;;;
* ;;; Any person obtaining a copy of this software is requested to send
their
* ;;; name and post office or electronic mail address to:
* ;;;   CommonLoops Coordinator
* ;;;   Xerox PARC
* ;;;   3333 Coyote Hill Rd.
* ;;;   Palo Alto, CA 94304
* ;;; (or send Arpanet mail to CommonLoops-Coordinator.pa at Xerox.arpa)
* ;;;
* ;;; Suggestions, comments and requests for improvements are also
welcome.

the problem is the part marked by *, this is a requirement not
compatible with the DFSG. In addition the email and I guess address is
dead.

I've noticed that sbcl never had this clause, and I assume that we can
remove it without someone complaining?

Best regards, Peter

--
signature -at- pvaneynd.mailworks.org