[cmucl-imp] Snapshot 2015-06

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 18:51:07 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:

>     >> The other changes to cmucl include:
>     >>
>     >> o The UNIX package has been changed; it now only contains just enough
>     >> to compile all of cmucl.  If you want the rest of old UNIX package,
>     >> use (require :unix) to get that.
>     >>
>     Fare> 1- This breaks ASDF, which assumed it could use unix-getenv and some such.
>
> I looked at the asdf distributed with cmucl, which is version
> 3.1.4. asdf does have getenv, but not via unix-getenv. Instead it
> accesses ext:*environment-list*.

The latest 3.1.4.15 uses unix-getenv. I can revert that, if you wish.

> A quick grep through asdf.lisp only shows unix:unix-current-directory,
> unix:unix-chdir, unix:unix-stat, and unix:unix-rmdir, which are all
> available without doing (require :unix).
>
> Is there some way for me to test asdf? (I confess I haven't run the
> asdf test suite with this new snapshot. I should have.)

cd asdf ; make t l=cmucl

> However, I do see that I've broken slime which wants to use
> unix:unix-execve, and perhaps others.  This is fixed by adding
> (require :unix) in my .cmucl-init.lisp script, but that's not really
> the solution I want.

BTW, I retried running cmucl after I rm rf lib/cmucl and tar jxf the
2015-06 tarball, and I can 100% reproduce the failure to (require
:unix). Are you extracting on top of an installation that has extra
files?

CMU Common Lisp snapshot-2015-06 (20F Unicode), running on lux
With core: /home/tunes/local/stow/cmucl/lib/cmucl/lib/lisp-sse2.core
Dumped on: Thu, 2015-06-04 23:17:46-04:00 on lorien3
See <http://www.cmucl.org/> for support information.
Loaded subsystems:
    Unicode 1.29 with Unicode version 6.2.0
    Python 1.1, target Intel x86/sse2
    CLOS based on Gerd's PCL 2010/03/19 15:19:03
* (require :unix)

File-error in function LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD:  "modules:load-unix" does not exist.
   [Condition of type KERNEL:SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [CHECK-AGAIN] See if it exists now.
  1: [USE-VALUE  ] Prompt for a new name.
  2: [CONTINUE   ] Return NIL from load of "modules:load-unix".
  3: [ABORT      ] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(LISP::INTERNAL-LOAD #P"modules:load-unix" NIL :ERROR NIL ...)
Source: Error finding source:
Error in function DEBUG::GET-FILE-TOP-LEVEL-FORM:  Source file no longer exists:
  target:code/load.lisp.
0] #p"modules:"

#P"modules:"
0] (describe #p"modules:")

#P"modules:" is a structure of type PATHNAME.
HOST: #<LISP::UNIX-HOST>.
DEVICE: NIL.
DIRECTORY: (:ABSOLUTE #<SEARCH-LIST modules>).
NAME:  NIL.
TYPE: NIL.
VERSION: NIL.

What kind of pathname horror is THAT?????
As if pathnames weren't horrible enough already, CMUCL invents
additional pathname horrors!

Fraud is the homage that force pays to reason.  — Charles Curtis