[cmucl-imp] motifd isn't 64-bit kosher

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 15:26:20 UTC 2014

On 7/6/14 11:58 AM, Richard M Kreuter wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I believe it turns out to be a fluke that a 64-bit motifd works
> anywhere: the server passes out 32-bits of a pointer as external IDs for
> instances of a handful of types [1]. On a 64-bit machine, the instances'
> addresses might not fit in a 32-bit address, though.
>
> (In fact, on my FreeBSD/amd64 machine, when I run the example from the
> documentation, the first shell widget always gets created at
> #x8045d8900, so motifd hands out #x45d8900, and then attempting to
> create the second widget with the shell as parent crashes the server.)
>
> Seems like there are two options:
>
> A. Change the wire protocol to accomodate 64-bit integers.
>
> B. Synthesize 32-bit identifiers for instances of the offending types.
>
> Option B seems simpl
>
> [1] I think the complete list is AcceleratorTable, Atom, FontList,
> TranslationTable, Widget, and sometimes XmString.

Thanks for the report.  (I had responded earlier, but used gmane, and
cmucl's lists don't allow mail from gmane anymore for some unknown reason).

In any case, see also http://trac.common-lisp.net/cmucl/ticket/84

I'm surprised anyone is using clm anymore, and I rarely, if ever, check
to see if it works. If you don't mind, can you tell me what you use it
for? I'm just curious.

Ray