[cmucl-imp] CMUCL mailing list changes

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 21:02:43 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org> wrote:

> Raymond Toy wrote on Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 04:31:04PM -0700:
> > On 7/20/13 1:45 PM, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> > > Folks.
> > >
> > > I reactivated the CMUCL list after a wave of spam took down the
> > > machine doing @cons.org (as opposed to @cmucl.cons.org) with heavy
> > > disk I/O caused by mismatching spamfilters between the @cons.org
> > > forwarder and the ML software on @cmucl.cons.org
> > >
> > > Unless this causes great concern I would like to make
> > > @cmucl.cons.org
> > > The only supported bunch of addresses and not support @cons.org
> > > anymore.  The forwarding means I tunnel some of my own spamfilters.
> >
> > I couldn't quite parse this last paragraph.  Does this mean that cmucl
> > mailing lists @cons.org will no longer exist and all mail should go to
> > @cmucl.cons.org?  If so, do existing list members need to do anything to
> > be subscribed?
>
> I am asking the community whether we can live without the old
> @cons.org addresses.  Not only are they spam magnets, they make
> spamfighting at cons.org more difficult since the MX for @cons.org is
> defended differently than @cmucl.cons.org and the forwarding from the
> former to the ladder got into software problem leading to a machine
> overload.
>
> I am perfectly fine with using cmucl.cons.org instead of cons.org.

If someone objects, please say so!

Unless there are serious objections, I say, let's cut over at the end
of August.  That gives a month for people to update, which should be
enough time.  Plus, the Aug snapshot will make an announcement about
the mailing lists and also update the default site-init file to
include the new address.

 One thing we do need to do is to tell gmane about the new address.

Ray