[cmucl-imp] DIRECTORY and symlinks

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sat Dec 1 19:33:40 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 01 2012, Faré wrote:

>> Does the standard specify what the truename of a dead symlink is?
>>
> No, but the assumption is that implementations will take steps to
> compute this truename, which might result in errors, and it is not
> portable to assume otherwise.

That would be a strange assumption.  It's important that DIRECTORY can
be used to traverse directories.  If I want to have truenames, I can
just call TRUENAME or perhaps PROBE-FILE on the results of DIRECTORY.
But I can't call anything else to traverse directories besides
DIRECTORY.

>> Well, asdf-utils:directory* is full of #+.  That's the kind of code I
>> like to avoid.
>>
> The whole point is that it has the #+ for each and every of the 9
> active implementations plus 6 more, so you don't have to. (And yes
> there might be bugs or missing #+'es, but at least they only have to
> be fixed in one place.) Alternatively, there's IOLib.

I shouldn't need to install third party libraries just to list the files
in a directory.

Helmut