[cmucl-imp] x86-validate.h

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 07:35:25 CEST 2011

On 8/29/11 2:00 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Raymond Toy [2011-08-29 17:00] writes:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net>wrote:
>>
>>> Is it necessary that we reserve such large areas at startup?
>>>
>>> #define READ_ONLY_SPACE_SIZE    (0x0ffff000)    /* 256MB - 1 page */
>>> #define STATIC_SPACE_SIZE       (0x0ffff000)    /* 256MB - 1 page */
>>> #define BINDING_STACK_SIZE      (0x07fff000)    /* 128MB - 1 page */
>>> #define CONTROL_STACK_SIZE      (0x07fff000 - 8192)  (about 128 MB)
>>>
>>> Why are read-only and static space so large when a core file is
>>> less than 30MB?  And why do we need such huge stacks?
>>>
>> Don't know why they're set to these sizes, but long ago, everything was much
>> smaller, including a default heap of 64 MB or so (except on Linux which had
>> more).  I think Douglas set these defaults.  I vaguely remember a few use
>> cases where the (original) control stack size was too small.
>>
>> Perhaps now would be a good time to add command-line options to allow the
>> user to set the sizes of the spaces like the -dynamic-space-size option.
> Command line options would be good.

Implemented for the most part.  The sizes for all spaces are now
settable, with the defaults being the current values.  The new options
are -read-only-size, -static-size, -control-stack-size,
-binding-stack-size.  (Perhaps that should be -read-only-space-size and
-static-space-size?)

Some more testing needs to be done, so it won't be implemented in the
Sept snapshot coming real soon now.

Ray