[cmucl-imp] x86-validate.h

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Aug 30 09:04:07 CEST 2011

* Raymond Toy [2011-08-29 21:26] writes:

>> (We should also have a mark&compact GC for the oldest generation, but
>> that's another issue.)
>>

> Is there something wrong with the current Cheney copying collector that is
> used for the oldest generation?  (I think that is what is used for the
> oldest generation.)

If we have a lot of stable memory, say 1GB in the oldest generation,
then we need another 1GB for to-space to run the copying GC.  A
compacting GC tries to move all live objects in the 1GB area to "one
side", freeing up the holes left behind by dead objects.  That needs
much less extra memory, I guess a few MB.  It may be a bit slower,
though.

Helmut