[cmucl-imp] Working set

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 12:58:49 CET 2010

On 11/5/10 3:41 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:
> Is there an easy way to determine the working set size (resident size)
> that is needed to evaluate some form?
>
> TIME prints various things but not what I need.  The Linux top command
> shows a column with the resident size; essentially I'd like to see
> the maximum of the those values sampled while executing the form.
>
> Does the GC have this information already?  Would it be
> difficult/expensive to use getrusage in GC hooks to collect the
> information?
I don't see why you can't use getrusage in a GC hook to get his
information.  After all, you made slime use a GC hook to show how much
memory is used in each generation when a GC happens.  Would summing up
the memory usage in each generation be close enough to the resident size
that you want?

I ran unix-getrusage on several systems I have access to.  They all seem
to return 0 for the maxrss value, so that might not be useful to you.

Ray