[cmucl-imp] Re: Compiled COMPILE forms at load time Bug

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 04:41:48 CET 2010

On 3/15/10 1:58 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Raymond Toy [2010-03-15 16:18+0100] writes:

>>> CMUCL undefines the structure?  That seems a bit aggressive.  I think it
>>> should only delete the (c:info function info 'abc-a) entry if that's not
>>> done yet.  The compiler uses that to recognize "known" functions.
>>>

>> The code that does this is define-function-name in proclaim.lisp.  If
>> the name is an accessor-for, then undefine-structure is called.   The
>> comment for undefine-structure says it's supposed to blow away all
>> compiler info and undefining all associated functions.
>>
> Now I see.  It looks like undefine-function-name would be more adequate
> or just fmakunbound.

I tried undefine-function-name instead of undefine-structure. It works,
but having a redefined structure accessor that doesn't really work is a
problem.  For example,

(defstruct abc a)
(defun abc-a (x) 42)
(make-abc :a 'a) -> #S(abc :a 42)

This seems not good either.   Maybe disallowing redefining
structure-accessors this way is the best; don't kill the structure,
don't allow redefinition of the accessor either.

Ray