[cmucl-imp] Motifd and Motif library dependencies

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:29:03 CET 2010

Carl Shapiro wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com
> <mailto:toy.raymond at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     What?  We haven't done static linking of Motif for quite some time.
>

> I had not realized that.  It sounded like this was still the case
> because you had to fuss with the linker parameters.  It does seem that
> Debian and Ubuntu do not have this version of Motif and there is no
> pre-compiled binary for these systems distributed by the maintainer.
I think it has something to do with the list of dependencies.  I can't
check now since I installed openmotif over the top of whatever motif was
previously installed.  But ldd shows that Xm.so.4 has many more
dependencies than Xm.so.3.  I vaguely remember there was some way to
tell gcc/ld to link to specific version, but I can't remember.  Maybe
I'm wrong.

> ftp://ftp.ics.com/openmotif/2.3/2.3.2/
>
> It is not clear that this is a deal-breaker; the README file claims
> that 2.x releases are binary compatible and it is doubtful that
> anything in the motifd has changed that would break anything.  A
> random user would be able to add a symlink on their system but package
> maintainers will have to relink or rebuild motifd on these systems.
Yes, 2.x releases should work just fine.  I'm pretty sure nothing has
changed in motifd from the time I used to build motifd with lesstif way
back when.

I think we'll have to let the package maintainers build and link the
appropriate motif libraries.

Ray