[cmucl-imp] Re: Static array support

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 20:51:08 CET 2009

Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2009, at 24:16 , Raymond Toy wrote:
>
>> Carl Shapiro wrote:

>>> It would be great if the name :static could be reserved for the static
>>> part of the Lisp heap.  The name :malloc is more descriptive and less
>>> ambiguous.
>>>
>> Works for me.
>
> What about :pinned?  (Just suggesting)

Perhaps we can follow Allegro's lead?
<http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/current/doc/implementation.htm#cl-make-array-2>
(No particular reason, other than to be somewhat compatible.)

So, our :static/:malloc is the same as Allegro's :static-reclaimable.
We could add make our :static/:malloc the same as Allegro's
:static/:malloc since Allegro requires you to explicitly free such
objects.   These objects are the malloc'ed foreign arrays that we now
create.  The main difference is that we can't reload such arrays
(currently).

I've already updated the code to use :malloc, but we have plenty of time
before the snapshot to change behavior.

Ray