[cmucl-help] Need help getting into hemlock

GP lisper fph at clouddancer.com
Sat Jan 6 08:53:20 UTC 2018

> From: Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 07:46:26 -0800

>     >> From: Blake McBride <blake1024 at gmail.com>
>     >> Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 16:24:12 -0600
>     >> Cc: cmucl-help at cmucl.cons.org
>     >>
>     >> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 9:33 AM, Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> > >>>>> "Blake" == Blake McBride <blake1024 at gmail.com> writes:
>     >> >
>     >> >     Blake> I don't have:  "*-courier-medium-r-normal--*-120-*"
>     >> >
>     >> > Weird. All unix systems I used to use had a courier font.  But I see
>     >> > now that some don't.
>     >> >
>     >> >     Blake> Nor would I think most people on Linux would.  However,
>     >> >
>     >> >     Blake> I do have:  "*-fixed-medium-r-normal--*-120-*"
>     >> >
>     >> > Perhaps it's time to update hemlock to use this font instead?
>     >> >
>     >> > Does hemlock now work for you?
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> I don't know how to change the font specification.
>
>     GP> Courier has been a standard fixed width font for decades, I think it
>     GP> was on ADM-3s.  All the linux distros I've run allowed simple font
>     GP> additions, so adding "*-courier-medium-r-normal--*-120-*" is the
>     GP> easiest course.  I'd bet that the two fonts are indistinguishable, but
>     GP> some worrywart had to create a 'totally free' font to earn a niche.
>
>     GP> Thanks Blake, on my old CMUCL, (ed) never worked, but it was
>     GP> unimportant, but I found that on the newer computer with ECL, (ed)
>     GP> works and I have a need for that now.  I'm sure I would have written
>     GP> some kludge and you have saved me from that! ;-)
>
> How so?

that's a bit unclear, I have no idea what your question refers to Ray.

My linux, Gentoo, has over 165 fonts available.  For it, Courier lives
in the 'corefonts' package.  You can find that font at

HOMEPAGE="http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/"

and

mirror://sourceforge/corefonts/courie32.exe

-----

Since I've been using linux since the start, there have been several
ways to install fonts over that time.  For your distros, I cannot
advise, as they are pre-packaged and limited by their producers.
As usual, Bing and Google should give you some points