[cmucl-help] Need help getting into hemlock

GP lisper fph at clouddancer.com
Thu Jan 4 23:59:44 UTC 2018

> From: Blake McBride <blake1024 at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 16:24:12 -0600
> Cc: cmucl-help at cmucl.cons.org

> >     Blake> I don't have:  "*-courier-medium-r-normal--*-120-*"
> >
> > Weird. All unix systems I used to use had a courier font.  But I see
> > now that some don't.
> >
> >     Blake> Nor would I think most people on Linux would.  However,
> >
> >     Blake> I do have:  "*-fixed-medium-r-normal--*-120-*"
> >
> > Perhaps it's time to update hemlock to use this font instead?
> >
> > Does hemlock now work for you?
> >

> I don't know how to change the font specification.

Courier has been a standard fixed width font for decades, I think it
was on ADM-3s.  All the linux distros I've run allowed simple font
additions, so adding "*-courier-medium-r-normal--*-120-*" is the
easiest course.  I'd bet that the two fonts are indistinguishable, but
some worrywart had to create a 'totally free' font to earn a niche.

Thanks Blake, on my old CMUCL, (ed) never worked, but it was
unimportant, but I found that on the newer computer with ECL, (ed)
works and I have a need for that now.  I'm sure I would have written
some kludge and you have saved me from that! ;-)