[cmucl-help] Re: 2010-03 snapshot

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 00:26:03 CET 2010

On 3/16/10 6:34 PM, Lasse Kliemann wrote:
> I built this snapshot successfully (as far as I can tell) on
> Linux and Solaris. I just wonder whether there is a way provided
> to install into a specified directory. I simply made distribution
> tarballs now and unpacked them in the desired location.

That's great!

You can install the result via

src/tools/make-dist.sh -I <installdir>

Use the -S option to install sources too.   This require GNU tar and
needs to be named tar.  Set the ennvar GTAR to the GNU tar program if
it's not named tar.  (I need this for Solaris builds where GNU tar is
named gtar.)
> Some irregularities I noticed when making these tarballs under
> Linux (not under Solaris):
>
> $ src/tools/make-dist.sh build-4 version x86 os
>
> Creating distribution for x86 os
> Cleaning release-23599
> Installing main components
> install: cannot stat `build-4/pcl/gray-streams-library.x86f': No such file or directory
> install: cannot stat `build-4/pcl/gray-compat-library.x86f': No such file or directory
> install: cannot stat `build-4/pcl/simple-streams-library.x86f': No such file or directory
> install: cannot stat `build-4/pcl/iodefs-library.x86f': No such file or directory

That's kind of expected.  All x86 builds support both x87 and sse2
FPUs.  You didn't build the x87 version so install complains about these
missing files.  To build the x87 version, use

src/tools/build.sh -f x87 ... -o 'cmulisp -fpu x87'

where "cmulisp" is whatever version of lisp you're using to do the
build.  (Use the same -b option for both builds.)  Then you'll have
build-4/lisp/lisp-x87.coore and build-4/lisp/lisp-sse2.core and
make-dist.sh shouldn't complain anymore.  CMUCL will automatically try
to select the right core for the chip that you have.

The same holds if you're building a unicode or non-unicode version.

Ray